Ever wondered what a day-in-the-life of a digital marketer is like? Here at 6S Marketing, we work hard to create a space that encourages both creativity and analysis; we see the rewards of hard-work and dedication, but are at ease balancing our own lives and needs outside the office. We’re gritty, passionate about digital, and know that family comes first – something we’ve posted prominently and proudly on the office walls.
Between the sales team ringing the gong for each new client, or staff representing 6S Marketing at any number of industry events, the 6S office keeps busy with weekly stand-up meetings, cross-department brainstorming sessions, and epic Friday afternoon FIFA matches.
Richard Bergen, Media Director at 6S, shares a deeper glimpse into what a typical day for him might look like around the office:
8am – 9am
- Arrive at the office by bike, change out of bike gear, and spend 10-20 minutes trying unsuccessfully to fix my helmet-head hairstyle.
- Get online, open email, and hope nothing went wrong overnight (fortunately, usually something goes really right!)
- Open up all the campaign monitoring tools:
- SEM dashboard.
- Ad serving dashboard.
- Social media dashboard.
- Personal caffeine intake dashboard.
- Various custom media content reports.
- Proceed to kitchen to warm up my breakfast wrap.
- Scan calendar for appointments and review yesterday’s summary for today’s priorities.
- Eat breakfast and drink coffee while reading emails and catching up on industry news/trends.
9:00am – 10:30am
- Respond to priority emails and put out fires OR celebrate, ’cause there’s no fires!
- Depending on the day, I might head to an off-site client meeting or industry event such as a #6SxGoogle Breakfast
- If I’m in the office, I hit my To-Do list, which is usually a mix of campaign maintenance and project / media planning:
- Update spreadsheets.
- SEM review and optimization.
- Final touches to PPT presentations.
- Review media vendor proposals and update media planning charts.
- Meetings, meetings, meetings. We’re very focused on collaborating, brainstorming, and teamwork.
10:30am – 12:00pm
- Expand on meeting notes to share with participants so everyone is on the same page.
- Start action items from meetings.
- Review, update and finalize details for upcoming campaigns, projects, or media going in-market.
- Celebration of some kind – high fives when a colleague signs a new client, fist-bumps for a 5-star client survey coming back in, hilariously awkward dance moves when clients decide they’d like to extend their campaigns through their next fiscal year.
Somewhere between 12:00pm – 1:00pm
- Lunch! Usually some homemade deliciousness packed into a mason jar, or a mega-greasy sandwich at one of the many nearby lunch joints.
1:00pm – 2:00pm
- Revisit To-Do list: strategize on a new media plan; continuously optimize ongoing campaigns; review checklists for strategy documents; review and update SEM ad copy; send out clients’ landing page recommendations.
- Write blog post for the internal 6S Marketing team (like the one you’re reading now).
- Finish outline or final details for whatever upcoming proposal presentation being worked on. There’s always a proposal that has to get out right away, the only thing that changes is the who, what and why. The “when” is usually “OMG, right freakin’ now!”
2:00pm – 3:30pm
- Contemplate a coffee break for too long; give in, go for coffee, enjoy the sunshine / lament the rain, and perk up.
- Back to deliverables and scratching items off the To-Do list.
- Monthly reports.
- Break for a brief team yoga session!
3:30pm – 5:00pm
- Last minute revisions on campaign scheduled to launch right away.
- Refine and update media buying best practices document.
- Culture Club meeting to plan upcoming events (a staff day-out event, maybe a seasonal party).
- Set up tomorrow’s To-Do list and priorities
5:30pm or so
- Head out!
A day in the life at 6S can be pretty interesting. No two days are the same, and with Account Managers and Strategists working on as many as 10 different clients, tasks and teams can be incredibly varied, and a “roll-with-the-punches” workflow is often needed.
Despite this unpredictable nature and diverse range of projects and events to manage, the 16 years of digital marketing experience 6S as a company has means there’s a well-defined method to this madness; a process to handle any project or obstacle, no matter how large it seems; and reliable, ingenious colleagues to support each other every day.
This supportive and welcoming culture at 6S is ultimately what sets us apart from the typical 9-5 job. Weekly internal staff contests pass out prizes like Google swag, Starbucks gift cards, or tickets to a Blue Jays game. Each department organizes the occasional agency vs. agency soccer match, potluck in the park, or trip to the climbing gym. Our ladies were even treated to an epic lip sync performance by the guys over Christmas.
If you are thinking of applying for a position at 6S, aside from being a kind, considerate and family-focused individual, here are some of the tangible, hard-skills we look for:
- We generally favour technical skills such as a working knowledge of analytics, SEO, SEM, and social media. We look for people who are well rounded in some or all these areas, and have a desire to get more specialized in one.
- There are also key personality traits that are important for 6Sers – grit, passion, integrity, a win-or-learn rather than win-or-lose attitude, as well as healthy joie de vivre. People who have been most successful here are those who are internally motivated, passionate about digital, and enjoy being hands-on with their work.
Thanks for reading! If you’d like to view available positions in any of our three offices, click here.
With that, I’ll leave you with this video — #WeAre6S!